Sunday, December 10, 2006

STORY 1: SABAH WEIGHTLIFTER TO MAKE A COMEBACK

By Newmond Tibin

SABAH (MALAYSIA) : Melton Henry has several times been disappointed with life but what he regrets most is his two year suspension by the National Sports Council (NSC) for using prohibited drugs during the 2002 Malaysian Games (Sukma), here.

"I do not consider it as a failure but see myself as a victim of circumstances," said Melton, the former Sabah weightlifting champion in the 77kg category.

But everything has not ended. For the son of Mensiang, Menggatal, near here, who had two bronze medals for Sabah at Sukma 2002 withdrawn, life goes on. Although he was suspended from taking part in any competition effective April 2003, his spirit remains high and he has continued with training under the supervision of his mentor, Bell Yasoi, to strengthen his capability in the sport.

His suspension ended in April last year and now, he is a "freeman" to pursue his dreams to represent Malaysia at the next Commonwealth Games.

"It is pointless to look back. I regret over what has happened. Now, I want to turn into a new leaf and train hard and try to bring glory to Sabah and the country in the weighlifting area," he told Bernama, here.

Melton, 24, said the sport is in his blood, "I really love it and since I am still young, nothing is impossible if there is a will, followed by efforts to achieve the goal.

"This is my goal and I feel this is the way to redeem myself for the mistake during Sukma 2002. I can still remember the moment when I received the suspension letter from the NSC...I was very frustrated and began to lose hope.

"But, every time I see national weightlifting champion Martin Guntali, who won silver and bronze in the Commonwealth Games, I recall his inspirational advice, "don't lose hope," said Melton, who looked cheerful and eager to follow Martin's footsteps.

Dwayne Salem, 30, who became national weightlifting champion twice in 1997 and 1998 in the 83kg category, welcomed Melton's readiness and eagerness to continue to be active in the sports.

"Everyone sometimes makes mistake. May be he lacked confidence the last time and had taken the "wrong" vitamins...I feel he can move forward but he must have confidence and get sufficent training...then, he can be a champion," he said.

Dwayne said: "There is not need to take prohibited vitamins or drugs as it is not only a waste and can affect the health of the athletes, but can tarnish the good name of the state and country, we all want to avoid," he said.

No comments: